Friday, August 15, 2008

My First Class Observation: The First Meeting

It seems normal for the students to emphatically respond with “OKAY,” to comments and statements as a sign that they understand—however, some seem like they are doing it just for fun.

They all stand when they answer.

Sarah uses examples the boys can understand. She’s not afraid to use examples of the culture. When teaching them about tolerance, she addressed a major cultural issue using the example that they may not like the fact that they have a woman teacher, they may disagree with the idea of having a woman teacher, but they at least tolerate it.

Before the class started, Sarah stood outside the door, trying to gather the students who hadn’t come in the classroom yet. While she called them in, I stood at the front of the class, unsure where I should go. The students who were already in their seats looked up at me with their eyes wide open. Perhaps their eyes stood out to me because of the stark contrast between the white of their eyes and the black of their faces. Nonetheless, I sensed they were inspecting me with everything their minds could muster.

As one late student came in, strolling at a cruise as if he had a stereo blaring inside his head, he looked up at me as he entered the doorway. The moment he saw me, his feet froze in their spot and his body stood still as a statue. I don’t know if he was just shocked by the stranger standing before him or if it was my whiteness and maleness that spooked him. I gently smiled and motioned him to come in the room.

Sarah is giving them notes now, and they will then have an opportunity to ask me questions; I’m excited to see what they ask about me. But, even as confident of a person as I am, I’m also nervous to see how they respond.

No comments: