Monday, November 3, 2008

French Toast Over Fire

Yesterday morning, I decided to make some French toast. Since our cooks don’t come in on Sunday until the afternoon, we get to make our own meals for breakfast and lunch on Sundays. French toast has quickly become my favorite meal to prepare for Sunday morning breakfast.

I made all the preparations, and started cooking on our stove. Just as the first piece came to a delicious, golden-brown, our power went out. This is nothing out of the ordinary; in fact, it went out again last night for several hours. However, I had made enough batter for four French toast, and I was pretty excited about my now weekly tradition. Luckily, since the power does go out on a regular occasion, we have a ‘kitchen’ outside, where our cooks can cook over a small fire whenever the power goes out. This would be my first time cooking out there; I was kinda excited!

About ten minutes after going outside, my excitement had faded as I struggled to even get the small fire started. You would think with it being so hot here and with no rain in months that just about anything would light up in seconds. The rice grass I used as kindling was lighting up in seconds, but it would also go out in seconds. Finally, I realized that the flames were probably not getting enough oxygen, and once I started blowing on the ember-y grass, enough flames lit up to catch some small sticks on fire. I then brought in some bigger pieces to burn, and I soon had a nice, hot fire going. From there on, it was a piece of cake…or rather…a piece of French toast. The French toast cooked up in just a few minutes over the high heat, and I was enjoying a lovely breakfast in no time.

No comments: