Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Good Day

Yesterday was quite a day! I was absolutely exhausted at the end of it.

I invigilated (aka proctored) a final exam from 8AM to 10AM. It turns out to be an extremely exhausting job, especially when you find out after you have passed tests to about 80 students that you don’t have enough tests for the 11 remaining students, when at least 30 students ask you what the word “depleted” means, when you have to walk back and forth between two classrooms, and when one of the questions asks about “six 50 kilogram bags” (Apparently, the word “six” next to the number “50” made it really confusing.). Then, before lunch, I worked on the shelf that I’m building. I then had lunch, and before heading to MIRACLE to teach a class, I put in another hour and a half on my shelf. I ran right over to MIRACLE and started my class. This class was focused on responding to the challenges of HIV/AIDS, and living positively. It was an extremely awesome class to facilitate since I was able to foster some really great discussion on the topic, but it was extremely tiring. Then I went to the internet to try to figure out some of my loan stuff. My loans from UD are absolutely massive, and having the grace period for half of them end in a few days is pretty stressful. The power went on and off a few times, and I ended up achieving virtually nothing. I then had to make it back to the house to meet with Sarah and Emily to put some finishing plans on our Christmas on Campus celebration happening on Saturday. Then this week happened to be our week to have dinner with the brothers, so we ended up having 7 guests for a romantic candlelit dinner (The lights were still out.). Finally, we did dishes, and I was ready for bed. Oh, and did I mention the 110 degree heat during the day?

At last, I walked out onto our veranda, heading towards the door for our bedroom. Noticing a slight difference in the lighting because of the black-out, I glanced over to the sky above our backyard. My eyes froze as they caught the stars piercing through the pitch black sky. I stopped in my step, turned, and stood with my jaw dropped. I was in absolute awe of the stars, once again. After a few minutes of standing, I walked down to the hammock at the end of our veranda. After such a tiresome day, laying in a hammock, gazing up at the star-speckled sky, and enjoying the cool night air was a perfect gift.

No comments: