Sunday, October 19, 2008

Perpetual Summer

Last night, I was on a Skype phone call with my friend Helen. She said her mom sent her a bunch of candy. I said, “For what?” “For HALLOWEEN,” she replied, indicating the obviousness.

I had absolutely no idea that Halloween is just about ten days away. In fact, I feel as if Halloween should still be two or three months away. To me, it feels as if I’m right in the middle of summer. Judging by the heat of the day, double practices for football should be starting soon, I should be preparing to head back to UD, and the fourth of July should have been just a few weeks ago.

I feel as if last June, I entered into summer, and since then, I’ve just kept getting deeper into it. It just keeps getting hotter. May brought me high temperatures in the upper 70s; June was mostly in the 80s; July got up to the 90s; by the start of September, I experienced my first 100-degree day; and now, in late October, I’m seeing 110- to 120-degree afternoons.

It’s crazy, but it feels like, by coming to Africa, I’ve jumped into a never-ending summer.

No comments: