Monday, October 27, 2008

Late Night Adventure

I was pretty tired last night, so when Molly, Sarah, and Emily asked me if I wanted to go to Planet K Dot A last night, I passed, informing them that I hoped to go to bed soon. They left around 9:30PM or so, but I actually didn’t end up going to bed until 11PM.

Then it was approximately 1:32AM when I woke up to my cell phone ringing. Emily’s number was calling me. I fumbled to answer it. Fighting to break through the grogginess of sleep, I could make out Molly’s voice explaining to me that the car was stuck and asking me if I could go wake one of the brothers to come help them get out. The car battery was also dead, and they would need a jump. “Okay,” I said, and I hung up the phone.

After a minute or two of laying in my bed trying to motivate myself to get up, I put on some clothes, grabbed my cell phone and a torch (aka flashlight), and headed over to the brothers. I woke up Br. Adoka and a few minutes later, we were on our way. The only problem was that we didn’t know where we were going. The girls didn’t know where they were exactly.

After several phone calls back and forth while Adoka and I drove around looking for a stranded vehicle, we finally crossed paths with Sarah who led us back to the school truck.

The battery was indeed dead, and the left rear wheel was a good three feet down in sand. After switching batteries, we tried pushing the truck, but to no avail. We then tried to tie ropes from the Bro’s car to the school car and pull it out. That didn’t work either. Adoka suggested we go back to Chaminade, wake up 10 strong boys, and bring them back to carry the school truck out of the sand. It was about 3:45AM at this point, but this was the best shot we had. Leaving the car in the middle of some village till the morning was not an option. We drove back to Chaminade, woke up some boys, and brought them back to the car. We vaguely explained to them the situation, leaving out where the girls had gone, and emphasizing the help they would be.

In a few quick minutes, we had the car lifted out, and we were on our way home. It was 4:30AM by the time I got back into bed. The best part of it is that the road the girls took, which ended up being an absolutely treacherous road, was intended to be a short cut; talk about irony.

No comments: