Friday, October 24, 2008

Shelf

I’m building a shelf to put right near our front-door so that each of us can have a place to store different things such as notebooks, textbooks, quizzes, and other teaching tools. Today, I started cutting the wood for the shelf. The pieces of wood that I am using are actually two doors that were removed from the large, closet-like shelves in our bedroom. The doors wouldn’t stay closed, so Adam and Ryan took them off. Now, they will make a very nice shelf to put by our front door. And since we don’t have a circular saw, I’m making all of the cuts by a hand saw. Oddly, I couldn’t help but feel great as I slowly but surely cut both of the doors in half. Each cut took me about one hour, which is about as far as you can get from efficiency. But it didn’t matter. I know that a circular saw is far too expensive to own here. Furthermore, I’m finding it very humbling to use nothing more than my hands and a sharp piece of metal to inch my way through the heavy plywood.

One of the other volunteers was so kind as to take this picture for me.

1 comment:

Greg Calhoun said...

Andy, good luck with the shelf! I am finding it difficult to keep up with blogs but know you and the MVs are in my prayers.